Saturday, October 16, 2010

My Current Knitting Projects

In between working full time and day-to-day domestic survival tasks, I do find plenty of time to knit. I manage to squeeze in 3-4 hours a day most days. It helps preserve my sanity, lowers my blood pressure and opens up my right brain very effectively. I keep Sharpie and paper handy always when I pick up my knitting. It feels like a door opens on my creativity about 15 minutes in to knitting, especially really repetitive knitting like stockinette or garter.

Several days ago I had one of the best "creative spillages" I've ever had. I had put in a stressful 9 hour day at work and finally sat down to work on a simple boy's pullover worked in stockinette with sock yarn (on size 3 needles). I had been working only a few minutes and was alternating between the knitting and watching my favorite Thursday night TV shows when the ideas started flowing. Out poured great solutions for the my new slipper design pattern, color combinations that had never crossed my mind, embellishments for future designs and new pattern designs. I was writing and sketching so fast that I almost couldn't keep up. It was great - probably the high point of my week. Hope it happens again soon!

Does this happen to anyone else? I would love to hear about other knitter's experiences with the whole right-brain phenomenon. It fascinates me to no end. Feel free to post your creativity stories below in the comments section.

Meanwhile, I'm back to finishing the second slipper of my newest design. I posted a picture of the first one to the left, along with several other recent projects both finished and in progress. I particularly like the pink cabled cardigan. It is for my 3 year old friend, Jocelyn, to keep her warm this fall and winter. She will wear nothing but pink, so this awesomely pink creation should tickle her fancy. It was kind of tedious with all the cabling and double-stranded yarn, but I love the way it turned out and can't wait to see it on Jocie.

No comments:

Post a Comment